Join Coach Keren for a conversation with Lydia Fenet that will raise your public speaking game. Lydia is the Lead Benefit Auctioneer at Christie’s Auction House, she’s a keynote speaker represented by CAA and she is the author of the fantastic book, ‘The Most Powerful Woman in the Room is You’ which was published by Simon & Schuster and was optioned for TV/Film by New Form Entertainment in February 2020. This talk, between two professional speakers, is about just that: the business of speaking. If you have always wanted to speak clearly and coherently and mesmerize the room, if the thought of talking coherently in front of a group is nerve-racking, or even when you just want to brilliantly be able to give a toast in front of family or the next time you have to present to your team at work – you will learn how to be at ease, be prepared, and wow the crowd.
In This Episode:
- [04:05] There is no such thing as being naturally good at public speaking.
- [07:00] Lydia shares her tips for really delivering a phenomenal talk.
- [16:00] Everyone has a nervous tick; any type of bouncing will help release adrenaline.
- [20:50] Speakers are telling stories that move themselves; other people will be able to feel that energy too.
- [25:45] Do not be afraid to practice!
- If you’re nervous about public speaking, tell the audience that! Everyone wants to see you succeed.
- Mistakes will take place in your speech; work them into your speech, and do not be scared of them.
- Channel the adrenaline that you get when you walk out on stage.
- Figure out the sentence that you will start with for every speech and memorize it. That way, you can stay in control of the situation.
Meet Lydia Fenet
LYDIA FENET is Global Managing Director, Strategic Partnerships and Lead Benefit Auctioneer at Christie’s Auction House. She has led auctions for more than six hundred organizations and raised over half a billion dollars for nonprofits globally. Lydia is a keynote speaker represented by CAA and travels internationally speaking to groups about unlocking their sales potential and empowering their teams in the workplace. She was named one of New York’s most influential women by Gotham magazine and has been featured in the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Forbes and Crain’s, and has appeared in Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Vanity Fair and Town & Country. Her widely acclaimed book, ‘The Most Powerful Woman in the Room is You’ was published by Simon & Schuster and was optioned for TV/Film by New Form Entertainment in February 2020. Lydia is currently writing The Most Powerful Girl in the Room is You. You can follow her auctions, antics, and anecdotes on Instagram: @LydiaFenet.